Monday, July 24, 2006

Well then, following a short seminar from PR Supremo Stuart Bruce about Blogging and that dreaded phrase "Social Media," I've decided to take the plunge into blogging. What I liked about Stuart apart from his self-deprecating sense of humour was the way he translated IT speak into normal person speak and I came away feeling like it wouldn't be nearly as difficult as I've made it out to be in my imagination.

This is a very amateur attempt and I would be grateful for any advice from seasoned pro's. I've just about mastered MySpace but it took ages :) I'll be checking out other blogs, especially having recently read about the poor petite anglaise in Grazia and the Guardian and then finding out that she'd been "dooced" for having the cheek to write a diary. I never wrote a diary when I was younger so I figured I'd try it out now being slightly older and possibly wiser?

As you may have guessed I work in the communications industry so fingers crossed this should read fairly legibly but if all else fails consult wikipedia or the Urban Dictionary, that's pretty good and if not, post a comment and ask me what on earth I'm chatting on about.

Looks like this blogging lark could get seriously addictive, humans by nature are nosy, and the web is 24/7 so when will that leave time for sleep?

Thanks for reading :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

Hey there - good to see another blogger joining the ranks - after the Carriageworks gig, was also irritated by London Calling remarks, and the fact that so many so-called PR people are only getting into blogging now! Although this blog name is for music etc, really do work at PR :) and really fascinated at challenges of comms in coming years

4:09 PM  
Blogger Rob Skinner said...

Good luck with the blog. It will become second nature - and yes, you'll spend many a late hour sharing your thoughts with the world!
I've been blogging for just 7 months, so I can't offer pearls of wisdom. But do take a look at Richard Bailey's excellent advice at:

http://prstudies.typepad.com/weblog/2006/07/guidelines_for_.html.

best wishes

Rob

http://robskinner.typepad.com

1:57 PM  
Blogger Jonny said...

Thanks for the kind comments about my writing, and yes, I was irritated as hell by Editorial Intelligence - as someone who still writes columns and reviews despite stopping being a full-time journo 11 years ago I found Julia's comments patronising and...well there are a helluva lot of people who dont read newspaper columns; and despite the rantings of columnists (many of whom I do read!) I am not going to have my opinion influenced or formed by verbose, if occassionally witty verbage :)

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home